Sunday 22 June 2014

Newcastle

This weekend I popped up to Newcastle to see my best mate from university. I went up Friday afternoon, so before meeting Mike at his office I had a little time to wander around the station area, which is surrounded by big Victorian buildings.


 And the cathedral.
 And behind the cathedral there is the old gatehouse and beyond that the castle keep.



 

 The castle keep was my target sight, since I looked it up one the internet and it was open until 5pm. Ah, but not today. A scrappy bit of paper on the door had scrawled on it that they were closing 4pm with last entry at 3:30. I wonder if the live game at 5pm had anything to do with the early finish.

 So I wander on a bit further. There are some nice contrasts of old and new.


 But the best part of this area is the river scenery. Here is the Tyne Bridge.


 So I crossed the High Level Bridge, a steel bridge built by Robert Stephenson




It allows one to take in some great views over the Tyne, if you can avoid all the Samaritans adverts .









 I then wandered along the Gateshead side of the river and crossed back over the Tyne Bridge






Grey Street is the posh Georgian street

And Mike's offices are in the Art Nouveau Milburn House. No soulless office modern block.


But after that, the highlight of the evening - a few beers watching France slaughter Switzerland, followed by a curry. Can a man ask for more?

No comments:

Post a Comment