Saturday 19 July 2014

Franz Ferdinand at Somerset House.

My China holiday meant I missed one of my booked gigs at Somerset House (Kodaline) but I did get to see Franz Ferdinand in my first week back. And a glorious warm night for a summer gig it was too. And there can be few finer places than Somerset House's courtyard - not a typical rock venue.



The support act performed what I would class as world music. The band were called Francois & the Atlas Mountains and with that name you won't be surprised to learn they are French. And they were jolly good too, but this isn't my thing. Certainly interesting and complicated musically, but  that was the problem. The percussion is just far too complicated and going off at odd angles to the rest of the songs.









Franz Ferdinand by contrast also have complex songs, at least by indie rock standards, but at least the the rhythm seems to be pulling in the same direction as all the rest. They have now a sparkling back catalogue. I loved this gig, as did the other pension lawyer whom I bumped into down the front. We get about!





















No comments:

Post a Comment