Monday 29 September 2014

Art Garfunkel at the RFH

I got an unexpected invite to this gig. Not my usual fare, not least as were seated at the Royal Festival Hall. Although if I could always get a seat dead centre in the second row I might get used to seated gigs.

It was billed as "An Evening with Art Garfunkel" which left me concerned that there would be less in the way of singing and more in the way of chat. I was partially right. The trouble is that Art Garfunkel, who had the sweetest of voices, lost it altogether about 3 years ago. I had understood that was why there could be no more reunions with Paul Simon.

Well he has got it half back. But when a couple of weeks later I heard a busker singer Bridge over Troubled Waters, it dawned on me how much better the free busker was than the real thing.

For all that it was a pleasant enough evening. Art now settles into the form of a genial uncle. He read little bits of his own poetry, which was surprisingly good, he chatted amiably and all this padded out the songs he did sing, in a largely croaky way. Not a painful experience, but nevertheless a slightly sad one. Everyone else enjoyed it, and ripples of polite applause went round as every song became recognised. Of course Simon & Garfunkel can offer a peerless collection of beautiful songs.

My companion accused me of lacking sentimentality and yes that was what was missing. Unlike the rest of the audience, sentiment wasn't enough. I wanted the voice back. As no doubt does Art. But at 71 I wonder if it will return.


 

 
 
And how Art used to look back in the day. Quite a good looking boy really.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment