Saturday 20 September 2014

Simon Evans and Sean Hughes

Having been out with youngest son the previous night it was time for older brother Saturday night. This was another very successful evening out. It had all the omens for a top a night out - like starting in the pub at 3pm. Thibault joined us, and he and Leo get on very well, so the evening was always going to be a laugh. The best I can say is that the conversation never stalled for a moment all day. Rather than just drink near Leicester Square, I suggested a little afternoon trip to Somerset House in the sun.

We returned for dinner at Ba Siu in Chinatown, which Leo was fine with despite the threat of chillie overdose. I took a couple of friends there a week or so before and one of them, confident he could eat hot food, got a such a rude awakening that he had to order a second time just to eat something.

Then on to the double bill of comedy I had organised at the Soho Theatre. We started with Simon Evans downstairs. I like his material a lot, and he went down well enough with our party. It's his slightly condescending style that I like. "I'm not saying the women on a night out in Brighton dress like prostitutes, but if I was a prostitute out on a Saturday night I would feel the need to wear a badge saying "Actual prostitute" to do business."

I was less confident of how Sean Hughes would go down with my companions in the littel upstairs theatre. I had imagined he would include a lot of culutural references which would be before the lads' time. And this was entitled "Work in Progress" so seemed more of a wokshop for new material. But to my surprise he was the favourite of the two.

Thibault insisted we sat on the front row on the pretext of more leg-room (never an issue for me). This did mean we got a fair bit of intention from the maestro, including Leo. Although its fair to say he got off more lightly than me, and we  all faired better than a couple along the row. But it was all fun really. Sean overran by about quarter of an hour, but we weren't complaining.

Certainly a very full night, and a brilliant laugh start to finish. But then I had an early start tomorrow for Birmingham...

No comments:

Post a Comment