Saturday 21 February 2015

Susan Calman

This was the first time I had seen Susan Calman doing stand-up although I was very familiar with her Glaswegian patter on Radio 4. Actually seeing her was rather a by-product of my evening. The main purpose was to successfully meet up with a couple of my younger colleagues at work, with whom I had numerous failures to meet up with after work. So I thought the one way of them not getting caught up in the office was to organize something for a Sunday night.

So my plans were for a few drinks and dinner, and then I thought an hour of comedy might be a nice addition. As it turned put, we didn't manage much more than the comedy due to time pressures at their end, and Susan was a bit less of a hit than I had hoped.

She came over as very nice, and I quite liked her self-deprecating stories (and indeed the fact that she greeted us all personally as we filed in). The problem was that she just didn't have that much real material to work off. It could have been funnier. Bit of a sweeping condemnation I know, and its not really meant to be. It wasn't bad, but just not good enough. Maybe I am spoilt now by the amount of stand up I see.

But I would probably have enjoyed more tome n the pub with my mates.


No comments:

Post a Comment