Saturday 12 December 2015

Years & Years

Back in England and back to gigging. And first up, with a good claim to be new band of the year, Years & Years. First up was a support act who not only have I blanked from my mind, but who positively harmed my hearing. The female lead singer had just such a horrid shrill monotone verse that it totally destroyed the music.








So to the main course, Years & Years. First time I had seen them, and there s always a concern with a band with only one album behind them that they just don't have enough good material. This is tempered of course with the feeling that you are seeing something fresh.

I have to say this wasn't one of the  greatest shows I have seen. On the one hand Olly Alexander's puppy like enthusiasm can be endearing, but after a while this wears off. There is only so much child-like (although I think sincere) gushing one can take.

And while I like the début album, Communion, its not all great, and not enough really to sustain the whole performance, even with the addition of a cover of Britney Spear's Toxic.










But there is no denying that "King" is a truly great song, and it stood out at the end of this gig as the inevitable close of the encore. To help celebrate, on came a troupe of drag queen dancers. A fun ending.




No comments:

Post a Comment