Monday 25 July 2016

Andrew Maxwell at the Spiegeltent

Second trip to the Spiegeltent with a different set of friends, one of whom was Chinese. For which purpose Andrew Maxwell  was rather better than  Milton Jones, as you need a lot of cultural references to follow Milton Jones. Less so with Andrew Maxwell. You just have to accept that he doesn't like Brexit.

While I had heard various parts of his material before from the numerous times I had seen him before, there was also some new stuff. Not least on Brexit. But also his explanation of why the gig was late starting, a somewhat arduous kayaking expedition with his kids. It was well-related.

Overall, you can't help but like Andrew Maxwell. As one of my companions said, he is a bit hit and miss the hits are good. I particularly liked his impression of his Egyptian father in law ringing up to complain about something.

"Hello? " answers the unfortunate victim.

"Shut UP!!. Shut up, why you still talking? Shut up I say..." And so on. In an Egyptian accent.You had to be there.

Downside? Well much as I agree with him about most things, I felt to wards the end he got  bit preachy.I might agree with his views, but I was there to laugh and not improve race relations.

No comments:

Post a Comment