Saturday 16 July 2016

The Last Shadow Puppets at Alexandra Palace

I sort of went to this gig with a mate. But he had to work late, and it was too crowded by the end to meet upo, and then he wanted to leave before the end, so we never actually saw each other at all. Just swapped a few texts. So I also sort of went on my own.

First support a threepiece called Yak. Quite liked the short bit of them I heard online, quite raucous. But they weren't that exciting live.





There was a second support. Mr Gaz Coombs. Now I am a big fan of him and seen him several times fronting Supergrass; this was my first solo gig. Again I felt disappointed. He has a great rock voice, but none of the songs really stood out for me.





So then onto The Last Shadow Puppets. Nice touch to start - they put the lights on as the tricolour at the back, and then followed up with a minute's silence for the Nice victims, which was pretty well observed apart from a few prats at the back.


Now I have to say I didn't enjoy this gig as much as I should. That had nothing to do with the Last Shadow Puppets. Miles Kane and particularly Alex Turner are great on stage. And I loved both their first album, The Age of Understatement, the title track for which opened the show, and their new one, Everything You've Come to Expect.  The songs are great, they can both sing and Alex has a wonderful preening persona. Fine if you don't take him too seriously.






The encore started with the brilliant Miracle Aligner. Unfortunately, to my mind it then tailed off with cover versions - The Fall's Totally Wired and Bowie's Moonage daydream. Hate to say it, but TLSP's songs are better than those to whom they pay homage.





But my discontent was really with the audience, or more specifically the audience right around me. Worst was the mobile phone watching. I watched much of the gig through someone's mobile recording not so much the gig as the mobile phone of the person in front of them. Cut it out guys. The recordings are rubbish. Just watch the show!

And then also being trapped next to very excitable (and sweaty) young ladies who whoop at every opportunity and also sing totally out of tune. Grr.

And when I said sweaty I meant it. Very humid. I have been in many hot and sweaty gigs but this one was unnecessarily so. A warm day it needed more air con.

And final indignity on way home is they wouldn't let anyone cross because of overcrowding at Alexandra Palace Station. Ok for those who would add to teh overcrowding, but I only wanted to cross over the top of the station to walk home. But had to take a detour with everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment