Monday 11 July 2016

Oxford punting

A nostalgia trip. Back to Oxford with friends going punting as we used to do over 30 years ago. Of course this time there is a second generation. The other brought their children. Which made it a particularly nice day. Along with the weather.

I arrived first by train (in contrast to the previous year doing this where due to train problems I missed the punting phase altogether). So that gave me a pleasant walk up to the Cherwell Boathouse, and the chance to take a few photos before anyone started punting.











  




Cherwell Boathouse




Unfortunately Tim's daughter was ill, so we were one down on potential punters. And his son didn't find it an entirely intuitive activity, so I was called into action. After a retirement of 30 years. Well at least I could do the directional bit, but I think its fair to say that in any punt race I would come last. Speed is not my thing. Luckily there was no race. And lunch at the Vicky Arms beckoned.


An expert skilled punter.

Not quite so good. Note pole too far away from punt, if you want to analyse the technique.

Claire armed with paddle


Now with slow old punter replacing the young turk (seated and looking happy at no longer being at the helm)




Team photo

Victoria Arms. A very busy pub in summer
 After a late lunch, we all dispersed. I had a little time before my train so I had a quick jaunt around the Ashmolean Museum. One of my favourite museums.






No comments:

Post a Comment