Wednesday 16 November 2016

Boston Museum of Fine Arts

Friday night in Boston and Thibault and I decided to split up for the evening. He wanted to do a Halloween party, and ended up going on a fancy dress Halloween pub crawl. I meanwhile preferred the Boston Museum of Fine Arts, which stayed open until 10 pm, so I had a good 4 hours to wander round it while Thibault chatted up the locals in a vampire costume. To which he looked rather too well suited for comfort.

Unfortunately we only had one key between us, but I said that would be fine, leave the key with me as I will be home first, and don't worry what time you get in, just call me as I am a good sleeper. I can easily go back after I am woken up.

So this was my first time on the Boston Metro on my own. Very exciting. Well not really. But it isn't too bad a system. And some of the trains become trams overground, such as the one I needed - going to Museum station. Convenient.


Now Boston Museum of Fine Arts is a terrific Museum. I just loved it. Best of all, it was really quiet. It seems most Bostonians have better things to do with their Friday nights - such as drinking with Thibault. Fine by me - their loss (sorry Thibault). Just lovely to wander around galleries where I was either the only person there or there would just be one or two others. Certainly no crowds. Wish our museums and galleries had such long opening hours.

The Museum is a bit like the National Gallery and British Museum rolled into one. Unfortunately given my particular fetish for Greek and Roman artefacts, the collection is a little weak on them. Better on Egyptian.





 The Museum has been extended, offering a big open central atrium.












This is an actual discus. Marble.













This is a particular rarity. Head and plinth are all original. Almost all Roman busts are on later plinths and have much (usually Renaissance) restoration.
















Moving from the ancient world to medieval I liked this little chapel.
















Winslow Homer
 The gallery devoted to John Singer Sargeant was one of my favourites - an underrated artist in my view, although not in the early part of the 20th century where he clearly got a lot of top commissions. The most popular society portraitist of his day.























One of the most impressive exhibits was this modern one of mirrored glass vessels.








The collection of Impressionist art is absolutely top notch. Especially Monet.




















 Was less impressed by the Contemporary Art Galleries



Oriental art was a strength though.


















I was one of the last to leave. Hungry by now I stopped off for a takeaway pizza and then settled down to await the T man. He texted me about 1:30am to seek admittance. Unfortunately having got all the way down the flights of stairs he wasn't there. Expecting a Halloween prank I just went back up, only to be followed by a more plaintive text. He had sensibly texted me a couple of minutes early before arriving, expecting me to need a little while to get dressed to come down, but I was better prepared than anticipated, so had beaten him to the door. Two of us not anticipating how much the other might anticipate!

No comments:

Post a Comment