Sunday 4 August 2019

Canyonlands

The end of my holiday was at Canyonlands. Now it is a little unfair to say that the Grand Canyon is just one big hole in the ground, while Canyonlands, as the name suggests, is a whole series of canyons panning out in front of you. But it is also unfair that the Grand Canyon is so well known whereas Canyonlands is not. It was a spectacular way to finish my trip.

Really it is as simple as saying there are breathtaking views. And more and more of them, wherever one goes.





































You really don't want to go too close to the edge











Nothing can quite prepare you for the sheer scale of the views that unfold in front of you. Amazing empty country.




















When it rains, little pools form and hang around for a while on the bare rocks




















 And there are arches out here too. This the Mesa Arch, which frames amazing views. Sorry I have said amazing too many times, but anything else I might say is just another word for it. Amazing.














 From there we finished off by visiting Dead Horse Point Sate Park. While this doesn't sound too glamorous, it actually provided another beautiful trail with magnificent vistas across the canyons.



The turquoise lakes are not natural, they are the residue from Moab's potash industry.


























 I think it is fair to say that Clarissa and I were flagging when we got to the end point of the trail. It was nudging 40C and we had been trekking all day. Heroically Thibault not only offered to go back without us, pick up the car from the visitors centre and then drive to where we were at the end point, but he actually jogged back. Ok, I admit he is a fit tough guy. He didn't have to prove it to us!

Alas our final meal in Moab was even more disappointing than the one the night before. We finished cracking open a bottle of wine in my room.



Next morning Thibault and Clarissa drove me to Moab Airport for my flight to Denver while they continued on to the Rockies without me. I think Thibault felt he had done his duty by me and deserved a bit of romantic time with his new fiancee!

I think we three got on well enough. At least the happy couple seemed happy enough.



And I certainly looked cheerful!


Moab airport was ever so sweet. Only two flights a day, both to Denver. Four people on security, all in one room and they all chat to you at the same time. It is very friendly.


And half a day in Denver airport could be a lot worse.


 They have a semi-outdoor airport lounge, exposed to the open air but with a roof.


Which was lucky as while I was there they had one hell of a thunderstorm.



No comments:

Post a Comment