Tuesday 20 August 2019

The Smyths at the 100 Club

I don't normally go to see tribute acts. But I adore the Smiths, they are never going to reform, and I had heard the Smyths were very good. So what the hell. I had even managed to persuade my young mate Tom to come along as he likes the Smiths, although he wasn't even born when I saw the real things.

I went with a slight degree of trepidation as the night before Tom and I were out, with another mate, to see Public Service Broadcasting at a Prom at the Royal Albert Hall. Which was excellent except it was like watching a concert in a sauna fully clothed. To be fair it was the hottest day on record, but then again it didn't start until 10;30. And if that was what the prestigious Royal Albert Hall was like, what would a basement off Oxford Street be like?

I needn't have worried. It was fine actually. The Club is tiny. The view below is from the edge of the stage to the back. It is that small. Also, very dimly lit, so afraid rubbish photos.













 Above gives up a good idea of how close to the stage I was. I lived in fear that the "Johnny Marr" would clunk me with his guitar. One careless twist and my head would be off.


But as a performance it was a hoot. Just excellent, and the "Morrissey" is far better than seeing the real thing now.

Just to finish with a few observations.

1. The Smiths were brilliant.
2. Morrissey & Marr were musical and lyrical geniuses. This does not in any way prevent them being complete tossers.
3. There is no evidence that Morrissey was not a complete tosser in the Eighties too. As he has become more outspoken he has seemed more racist and suddenly people shake their heads as to what he has become. he was always that. You just didn't want to hear it when he was young and good looking.
4. There should be an age and weight limit before one is allowed to enter a moshe pit. And here, almost everyone would have failed the entrance conditions. I may be a fat, sweaty old man, but that doesn't make me want to be in close bodily contact with any of my ilk. Quite the opposite.
5. Tribute acts can be better than the real thing. Depending on age.


No comments:

Post a Comment