Tuesday 6 August 2019

Community Festival 2019

So while all the professional middle classes in their thirties were at Glastonbury, I was down wiv the kidz at the Community Festival in Finsbury Park. Much cheaper at only £40, and therefore affordable to teenagers unlike Glasto, and its only down the road from me so need for all that camping mularkey.

First up was the band from overseas that no one has heard of, this year SWMRS from the USA. Sort of Green Day wannabees.








But the revelation for me was the second band, totally unknown the me, Sea Girls. I assumed some sort of girl band, but far from it. A very decent indie guitar outfit. I will keep a lookout for them in future.









Brief interlude for a crowd shot. Have never before seen as many flares at a gig. Occasionally one would find oneself watching through a multi-coloured fog.

Second crowd observation would be what a nice, enthusiastic and knowledgeable bunch they were. Many seemed to be able to sing along to what were to me unknown acts. I have always found, contrary to popular prejudice, that a younger audience tends to be a better behaved one. Certainly well above the crowd at Stockport the weekend before.

Third, Hawaiian shirts are in.

Fourth, I just noted that someone tied to start up the "Woo, Jeremy Corbyn" chant that had been so carefully orchestrated art Glastonbury a couple of years ago. Here it was briefly met with a response chant of "Corbyn is a cunt". It didn't take long for him to be found out did it?




Third act was a great crowd pleaser, the very Scottish Gerry Cinnamon. He ought to be compulsory at any festival. Just so cheery.



More flares...
Then on came what to me is very much a has been act, Kate Nash. Her attempts to connect with the audience, including longs spells underneath the stage trying to touch the crowd at the front just seemed rather desperate to me, and she never really had any songs worth the name. Should fall into the discard pile.






And if ever there is a hairstyle not to copy, this is it.


The next slot was also to my mind an odd one, the Hunna. Odd because they seemed a very heavy rock act to intersperse with the rest. Not bad, although not really my cup of tea.




The weather was sweltering so could understand why the lead singer decided to dispense with his shirt, even if it did mean unveiling his very random tattoos.


Although the drummer was far scarier!









By this time I had been joined by my young mate Tom, delayed by the excitement of the cricket World Cup at home. Was good top have company, although we were both somewhat bemused by the popularity of the next act, Don Broco. From Bedford they proudly announced, and let's face it that is not exactly a musical hot bed. Lead vocalist seemed a nice enthusiastic young man. You might even be pleased if your daughter brought him home.

But to me, just not music.










Finally on to the two acts I had actualy come to see. First up Blossoms, whom I had not seen since last weekend in Stockport. A shorter set this time, but no less enjoyable.








And finally the Kooks. I was surprised how well they went down a a headline band given to my mind their hay day was at least a decade ago. But this was a very slick well-received headline set. Luke Pritchard is a far better front man now than he used to be. They have a very decent back catalogue, although their first couple of albums, and especially Inside In Inside Out, offer the richest pickings.

















And got out so quickly after the gig that I was at home in time to watch the Cure's Glastonbury set live on BBC from the comfort of my sofa. Happy days.

No comments:

Post a Comment