Monday 22 April 2024

Montreal by hop on hop off bus (and my birthday)

Given my then walking difficulties it seemed to me that I could only get around Montreal by bus. And brilliantly, like many cities Montreal has a hop on hop off bus that does a circuit of all the main tourist sites. There was a stop really near my hotel, and you can buy tickets online. Perfect. Except...

There is absolutely no point in buying tickets on line. Because as I found when I bought them, you have to collect your ticket physically at the main ticket office in a central square. I would have been as well buying them there than having to show them my purchase on my mobile. And of course it meant I had to limp all the way there, rather than go to my nearest stop.


It was my birthday so I had my birthday lunch, on my own, in a restaurant on Place Jacques-Cartier. For a change, I thought I would try out a creperie



And a cocktail. Hey, it was my birthday!




That was the restaurant


A museum down at the Old Port. Now in part the reason to visit is just the views 



The permanent collection is on the history of Montreal. More kitsch than fine art. But very well displayed



The foundations are the foundations of the oldest settlement in Montreal







There was also an Egyptian exhibition on at the time.













This is Montreal's more Bohemian district












University grounds





Top deck of my bus. Not always this empty!

Mary Queen of the World Cathedral - sort of modelled on St Peters in Rome

















Victoria Square









A rather nice little museum in the home of an early settlor




Literally the first car in Montreal!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment