Sunday, 27 September 2026

Parlay, Black Lounge and Emerson at the Finsbury

Another evening of going out to see three indie bands of whom I had never previously heard. But at the Finsbury, so only just down the road, and a free gig to boot. And what is more, a really excellent gig in which I enjoyed all the acts a lot. This is why I go to such things. Not all such nights are as good as this one, but one always lives in hope....

First up were Parlay, like the other acts a four piece guitar band which is just what I like. And for a band starting out they seemed very promising. Good songs and the two lead vocalists (two for the price of one!) were really strong, alternating from one to the other to sing songs and some harmonizing too. Just surprisingly good, although as I said to the curly haired one on the right below, they could have tried a little more chat with the audience, only mentioning the band's name right at the end as if an afterthought. But will definitely seek them out again.








Having said how good the openers were, Black Lounge were better, and indeed probably best of the night. In part reflected by the audience being at its biggest for them (although also being earlier it was easier for people to get home, a factor for three lads in the audience I chatted to who had come up from Kent for this North London gig). 

Another four piece but this time very much just the one lead vocalist (and a good one). Good songs too. Again will look out for them again if they pop up on the "circuit." Would definitely pay to see them






Of the three acts, probably the lead singer of Emerson most dominated his band. Not only was he the singer he was also the only one to talk to his audience. They were good, and he had a strong voice, but I felt marginally less enjoyable than the preceding act, although that might also be a mark of me feeling jaded at three sets of indie songs all new to me! But certainly a very good night for which i would have happily paid good money. Some of the best things in life can actually be free.












 

No comments:

Post a Comment