Sunday, 27 September 2026

Scarlet Sometimes, Clary Campbell Carter and Toger Yuechong Christiansen at the Old Blue Last

In contrast to the previous night's gig at the Finsbury, this one was a paying gig (although only about a tenner) and I was coming to see an act I knew, Scarlet Sometimes. Unfortunately not overall as good a night as the Finsbury.

First rather than three indie bands, the two supports were both playing solo with a guitar. So that really isn't my thing so I was never going to be that enthused even if they were good. And the opener Toger Yuechong Christiansen (presumably his real name rather than a stage name!) was certainly not good. If you are on stage singing on your own accompanied only by your electric guitar you really ought to e able to hit the right note at least most of the time, and if perchance you do hit it, be able to hold it. He didn't. Honestly it was embarrassing.

 

Clary Campbell Cater was significantly better. She could sing. But I just get bored with a singer songwriter strumming away on an acoustic guitar.

But I had come to see Scarlet Sometimes and they didn't disappoint. Alex the lead singer even noticed me in the (small) audience and came over and thanked me for coming. (I have seen them a few times, and seen Alex a few times more in the audience at North London gigs)

Anyway, he has a great voice and they have a lot of decent songs, so their set went very well. Can't say I am particularly keen on his dress sense (skirt and fishnet stockings), but its not me wearing it so....😃














No comments:

Post a Comment