Thursday 26 August 2010

Langkawi - Day 2

What happened to day 1 a diligent follower may ask? Don't know really, just disappeared in a haze of jet lag. Actually really good flight, noon away from Heathrow, basically a 12 hour flight  to Kuala Lumpur, so a bit of kip "overnight" on the plane between lunch and breakfast, since Malaysia is 7 hours ahead. So we landed just after midnight UK time, but early morning in Malaysia. Easy transit to local flight and into hotel for 2nd breakfast if I had wanted it. Instead just unpacked, and then went on for a bit of an explore up the road.

Will add some photos when I get back (hey, I hope you are impressed I found an internet cafe just to update this without getting pics too. But I hope I can chuck some in retrospectively when home). But wonderful beach and all that, great resort (Meritus Pelangi resort if you want to google it), although also hardly unspoilt paradise. Actually that suits me fine. My little jaunt up the road (well good half hour up the road - I like exploring, and its too hot and humid to rush) probably yielded a hundred restaurants, cafes and bars. Only one Irish pub, which seems a little under-represented given their global reach. Pick from Western, Chinese, Indian, Mexican, Middle-Eastern, Italian, Thai and yes even Malay. And its out of season, and I am told even for out of season it is very quite, so its really, really quiet. So when I finally picked a beach cafe (a Western/Indian restaurant somewhat oddly called "Oasis") I was its first customer. And the hotel, with its two huge pools, and two lakes, is way under capacity. So a shortage of screaming kids tearing about the place. Boo hoo.

Anyway, after lunch just flopped in a deck chair, made a cursory attempt to start my third book (two having been done on the journey out), but quickly dozed off listening to Echo & the Bunnymen (no reflection on the quality of Mr McCullough).

Oh and other brilliant thing out here - pretty much no mozzies. So here I am lunchtime second day with no sunburn and no bites. Result.

No comments:

Post a Comment