Tuesday 24 August 2010

Sunday 22 August - V Festival day two

Decent night's sleep, a bath and feeling right for day two. (So much prefer commuting to camping)

Saw Doctors
Have sen these old troopers so many times, and they don't disappoint. Feel good band again, with  great back catalogue. Should have been more famous that they are.

B+

Plan B
My first time seeing Plan B. Not sure about him. Well, I am in that he has a great voice, but I so much prefer the soul stuff to the rapping. And also a little put off by the very juvenile audience surrounding us. I can take being surrounded by 20 year olds, but this lot we guessed were around 13. And that just makes me feel too old. Also can't really believe his accent - just too Mockney. But all trivial grouses really, and I do rate the bloke. Not, as my mate G summarised, pants, so I left G with Seasick Steve.

B+

Madness

Talking of old troopers. But they really are crowd pleasers. Even way at the back people were going mental. Very safe band to add to a festival. They won't disappoint.

B+ Consistent performers

Eliza Doolittle
Now part of the attraction was having her recommended by a friend, and part the fact that she was in a tent and it had started raining, and while I could smugly put up the hood of my shower proof jacket, Jen was just in a jumper. Well, very decent voice, nice personality and my god she filled out her hotpants well (do they still call them hotpants?), but the songs are just a bit too saccharine for my tastes

B, although the girl has potential to go far. Up on Pixie Lott for example.

Paolo Nutini
Didn't see all of him, but same saccharin problem for me. Nice voice, but nothing else. Best thing was his cover of MGMT's Fated to Pretend. But his, to be honest better crafted, version wasn't an improvement in my view.

B-. And don't copy off others

The Kooks
Third time I have seen them and didn't hold out much hope as they were really dull before. Much better on record. But wow. It was if they had just gone on a festival rock course ad passed with honours. So much more animated. Really excellent set.

A. Great improvement. Keep up the good work.

Calvin Harris
Just caught the end of his set, but what I heard was great and really went down well with the audience

A

The Doves
Oh dear. Now this was just a misjudgement by the organisers in my view. Doves were over-promoted above their status rather than their ability. I really like them,  a talented genial band. Unfortunately I felt rather alone in the audience, and part of the problem was they don't have a repertoire of sing a long hits, and part they were too grown up for the audience awaiting the Prodigy. Just didn't work, and the band weren't too impressed by the plastic bottle throwing. Calvin Harris would have been a better choice for this slot

A-, but I may be almost alone in my appreciation. Maybe stepping down a class would help.

The Prodigy
My mistake, but I went for the front at the Prodigy, and indeed achieved a place at the front barrier, rather than go for the safe option of Kasabian on the man stage. Well I had never seen the Prodigy before, so wanted to see what the fuss was about. Just didn't do it for me. The profanities didn't enliven the inanities of the patter, and frankly swearing over a serious bass beat with a decent light show just isn't enough for me. Not overly impressed by swaggering, sneering tough guy Keith Flint coming down to the audience, but walking past with the security guard on the outside making sure that none of the hands of the teenage girls at the front might touch his delicate skin.
Quite simply, there just wasn't enough music in it for me. Too much attitude, not enough class. And it was pissing it down. And being at the front I lacked a certain amount of protection from the crowd.

B- Should know better at their age

 So departed at the encore and felt somewhat bedraggled as I found a bus after midnight in the City to take me home. Drat the Tubes stopping an hour early on A Sunday.

But still looking forward to next year. Very much. Have bought ticket already but need to find a willing victim to join me in Jen's absence.

No comments:

Post a Comment