Sunday 14 February 2016

Bloc Party et al, NME tour at Brixton

Quite an effort to get this night out to work. During the day it looked like of the three of us going only I would make it, which would be ironic given I was the one least interested in Bloc Party. Had never got into them but they were probably the biggest indie band I had never seen live so I thought I ought to go. And my two mates were keen, being of the right age group, but both with last minute jobs to do at work.

Anyway, I like NME tour events as they have a big bill so you see up and coming acts you wouldn't normally see.

First up was Bugzy Malone. A rap act, which I am afraid just isn't my scene at all. Just doesn't count as music. It would be like going to a comedy festival and finding the first act was reciting a war poem. I just don't really get bad talking over uninteresting sounds. Probably my age.









Moving on. Next up was Rat Boy which I assumed was a band, but later investigation showed to be an Essex teenager with similarly youthful backing band. A sort of mix of indie and hip-hop. Interesting and listenable, although I don't think I would go out of my way to see him again. Well not yet. But he did certainly have a following amongst a youthful throng that had developed now in front of the stage.







Rat Boy, alias Jordan Cardy





  









Penultimate act was the first "name" Drenge, who were name-checked, bizarrely by labour minister Tom Watson in his resignation letter. A two-piece comprising the Loveless brothers plus touring members they hail from Sheffield. I thought I would hate them but didn't think they were too bad, although hardly "awesome" enough to quote in a resignation letter unless you were related to them or on the payroll. My two young mates, who arrived half way through their set, thought they were "shit". Ah well.

 







So finally to Bloc Party. One remark would be that after Drenge there was almost a wholesale change in the audience in the mosh pit, the youngsters (teens) moved out and an older guard replaced them. Bloc Party are hardly a new band, although they had broken up (had a hiatus) more than once and this was a newer line up (with a female drummer in what is rather a male preserve).

My problem with Bloc Party I think is there mix of influences leaves me feeling their sound is just a bt messy, although distinguished by the lead singer's high pitched vocals. Not bad, but still not convinced. My mates liked them a lot though. Tastes differ!

 







  





 






















No comments:

Post a Comment