Monday 22 February 2016

Tame Impala at Alexandra Palace

Sadly I couldmn't persuade anyone to go with me to this gig. Most people I now haven't even heard of Tame Impala, although they have now completed three albums and sold out Alexandra Palace Friday and Saturday night. And Ally pally is a big venue (7000). 

But as I had taken Friday off work I was able to get there early, queue with a somewhat teenage crowd, collect my pint of cider from the craft beer stall (their first customer of the night) and bag my customary spot down the front.Support came from fellow Australian psychedelic band Jaguar Mas. A good fit for the main act (which often isn't the case). A trio they seemed a little lost on the vast stage. Lead singer had a bit of charisma, decent enough sounding band but not one I would dash to see.













 


Tame Impala I feel are the inheritors of prog rock. They have a number of unusual features. For many bands one harks back to the brilliance of a debut album sadly never quite matched but subsequent efforts. For Tame Impala however in my opinion its only with their third album Currents that they have really hit their stride. Its a superb effort, with a number of delightful tunes that float happily out of the cd.

Lead singer Kevin Parker has a nice, but rather non-rock voice. high-pitched but not straining. Its easy listening but without the downside one normally expects of that term - ie there is nothing bland about their music. Great hooks but on quite intricate songs. Try listening to "Let it Happen"




 
 I got myself at the front but found myself next to one of the confetti cannons. Which were used more than once during the show. You pretty much have to turn away when those things start blasting, but they do create a fine effect.

















 




 























No comments:

Post a Comment