Monday 9 March 2020

Blossoms at Lafayette

Lafayette is a brand new venue in amongst all the new developments behind King's Cross Station. I don't easily wax lyrical, but it is just brilliant. Once I had found it. It doesn't shout its presence. particularly concerning as I had used Citymapper (wonderful invention!) which was happily congratulating me on arriving, but I still couldn't see it. But once inside it is just perfect. 600 capacity, floor downstairs and balconies upstairs, but so close are the balconies that I picked a spot in front of the stage rather down on the floor as I normally would. No regrets. Superb vantage point and a bar only yards away.


This was an Annie Mac festival production (like last night at the 100 club for Murder Capital.) Opening act was what I fear we may have to endure more of going forward, the token female to pretend gender equality. Katy J Pearson. Difficult to quite describe - sort of pop/country fusion, voice being very much that whiny country music vocal. Obviously some people like country, but this stuck out like a sore thumb from the evening to come. Got polite applause when she left the stage.







Then for something completely different, Cabbage. In my day this would be a punk band. Now probably called post-punk. Basically the same frenetic energy, protest etc but without the silly dress. A bouncing set that really got the crowd going. Some great songs like Terrorist Synthesizer, and they just work. Have seen them supporting Blossoms before, the link being more location than musical - both bands hailing from Greater Manchester.






















And finally to Blossoms. This was the best I have heard them. They added percussion and an extra guitar to their previous line up on stage, making for a crowded stage but also a stronger, more layered sound. Starting with Girlfriend from their new CD, they played a good long set with tracks from across all three of their albums. I think I have now persuaded my mate Andy that the third album really is good, not a descent from their earlier ones.

As well as sounding better they looked better. Tom Ogden has always looked a bit of a parody in garish retro suits. They just toned down the silliness, and it worked really well. Perhaps evidence of practice makes perfect?




















Not a band that I thought would generate a mosh pit, but they did. I had a great vantage point!















No comments:

Post a Comment