Saturday 7 March 2020

Working Mens' Club and Murder Capital at the 100 Club

Now as I have seen and made blog entries for both these bands in the last few weeks I won't say a lot about them, mostly just put up photos since I was right at the front. And there is no barrier between floor and stage so one couldn't be closer. Indeed often felt in danger of being whacked by a swinging guitar. 

But one general comment is that I could not believe how elderly the crowd was. I mean I would put the average age north of 40, which seems weird for a set of bands none of whose members have long left their teens.  I was chatting to some people I met before and after and they made two points. First was "Its all BBC 6". Now I don't listen to this, but I understand it is popular with older listeners who like rock, and what BBC 6 promotes gets an audience. Another guy just said "Young people don't like paying for music." So it just leaves us older ones supporting young bands. You can see a sustainability issue here.

But to the bands. Opening support was a band called Odd Morris, apparently Irish mates of the headliners Murder Capital. One expects openers at a gig at this level to be a bit rubbish, but sometimes one is pleasantly surprised. But not this time. They were pretty unimpressive, especially awful vocals, although I feel that might have partly been down to issues with the mic. Shame as they seemed a nice bunch of lads.









Now I never cease to be impressed by the amount of cabling involved at gigs, though not normally close enough to have such a clear view. Trip hazard...





Next up Working Mens Club. A short set of about 6 songs with Bad Blood second and Teeth to finish (yes my favourite tracks)






Track suit top discarded



 ..and now t-shirt off too. A bit of the Mick Jagger's about this guy's style.












And finally Murder Capital. Great again. Warming to them as an act.











The full ensemble



That close? Coronavirus guys. Sweaty foreheads.





No comments:

Post a Comment