Monday 9 March 2020

Supergrass at Alexandra Palace

As Alexandra Palace is walking distance from home, and I don't work Fridays, really no excuse not to arrive for doors open. So I did. And yes, it was pretty empty.


First support was Loup Garoux, "the new rock supergroup formed of members of GorillazThe Feeling and the Mercury-nominated Ed Harcourt" according to a bit of later internet research on my part. Sorry but the sum of the parts was not so super in my view, but then this sort of rock isn't my bag.











However the second support, the Coral, are very much up my street. Have seen them several times and they never disappoint. What I would describe as a professional festival band. Would always go down well in any line-up. And this was no exception. They got a great reception.











And then there was the return of the mighty Supergrass. They opened with "In it for the Money" hopefully a knowing reference to the rationale for their reforming and touring. But a most welcome return. I have always liked Supergrass and was sad to see their demise.


Lead singer Gaz Coombs was, we were told, suffering from a neck problem and on medication to get him through the gig. While he didn't exactly gallop around the stage he seemed to be moving well enough. We wouldn't have noticed.







Mick Quinn on bass

Danny Goffey
 Drummer Danny is very much the wit of the band. In a nod to current virus issues he told us to turn to the person next to us and rub our hands over their sweaty faces. "And now lick their ears..."










No comments:

Post a Comment