Monday 16 March 2020

Otmoor

So what did we decide to do as best substitute for a postponed football match? Bird-watching. At an RSPB site called Otmoor.

Now I could have kicked myself. I was going to bring my all weather trainers, but since all I was anticipating doing was going to restaurants and a football match I thought I was safe with just a pair of smart shoes.

The paths are not very muddy I was told. No.




To be fair, much of it wasn't bad. But some was on the edge of "sucking your shoes off" mud.

However, the temperature was fine and overall it was a very pleasant experience. Compared to Rye Meads (my more normal bird-watching haunt) there was a larger expanse of water, but fewer hides.



Pochard








What there were a lot of, a whole flock, were Reed Buntings. Got some very nice shots of a very small bird from the hide.






Chaffinch





Although a garden bird I was pleased to also capture some goldfinches. (A garden bird, but not in my back garden. And I think they are very pretty.)






Goldfinch with a Linnet in front


Unsurprisingly they are not short of ducks.

Pair of Crested Ducks


An attractive mix of Pochard and Crested Ducks












A pair of Shovellers






But the really impressive bird to spot (but very difficult to photograph) were the Marsh Harriers. They were distant and flying so very hard to focus on and shoot, at least with a point and push camera. But pleased with what I caught.






Greylag Goose


Pair of Canada Geese

Now while the rest of us were bird-watching, young Linnet had decided to bring her watercolours and dashed off a quick watercolour sketch. I had no idea how talented an artist she is. At one point I just looked over her shoulder expecting to see some decent attempt at representation, but Wow! And this is someone who doesn't even take art at school.



I am so impressed. Now I am not sure what bar of "impressed" I really set. I mean at one end I go and look at Rembrandts and Titians. So a high bar. But then I am also fairly impressed that anyone can do much more than stick figures, that being my level. Which means I am extremely jealous of anyone with real creative talent. Unfortunately Linnet is the most lovely girl imaginable, so I am stuck just admiring her talent and grateful I know her. Hopefully I will acquire a watercolour from her at some point if i ingratiate myself enough.

So we got back home and after Quen had out of the blue got the mud off my shoes, we went off for an Indian meal. Which was good. Indeed very enjoyable. It is always a pleasure to go out with a whole family. Especially such a nice one.

And then home to London. A very enjoyable weekend even if I did almost nothing I had expected to do....



No comments:

Post a Comment