Friday 4 December 2020

Trent Country Park

I will return to Trent Country Park again, as I didn't fully explore it. But I had walked for nearly three hours to get there.

Anyway, the Park used to be part of Enfield Chase, ie the king's hunting grounds. But eventually it acquired a big house, which was owned by Sir Philip Sassoon before the war, and after the war became part of Middlesex University. The house is currently undergoing development into apartments - I haven't included any photos as it is just a mass of scaffolding and plastic sheeting, but the grounds are a large public park, popular especially with dog walkers. It has the sort of grand entrance you expect to a country estate.




It is also home to the largest concentration of robins I have seen. As you can see, I got pretty close to this one. 





More tree planting underway, which is good to see.



The estate has large lakes which Sassoon had used for pleasure, filling them with exotic water birds like flamingos and pelicans, and even a couple king penguins.

Now just down to some rather less exotic ducks - pair of tufted ducks.

And a nice Pochard


And the ubiquitous Canada Geese



And I think this was  grebe - which typically dives and dives so as soon as I get it focused and in close up, it disappears



Below the lakes, and fed by them, is a sunken water garden, currently being restored.


In which I found a grey wagtail 


And if you look closely you can see he has just picked up an invertebrate for lunch. 




























































No comments:

Post a Comment