Tuesday 20 April 2021

Lonsdale Square to Duncan Terrace

Continuing my perambulation through Islington, I came to Lonsdale Suare. All the other squares around are essentially neo-Classical Georgian. Lonsdale Square is neo-Gothic. I can't deny I am firmly in classical camp.







So then we head back into neo-Classical style with Cloudesley Square




Except that in it is Charles Barry's neo-Gothic Holy Trinity Church. Not  a fan of this. Feels out of place.






The little Angel Theatre- devoted to puppet theatre




And onto the splendid Canonbury Square. As I was walking through the gardens I overheard a snippet of conversation from someone on a bench as I was passing by that stopped me in my tracks. It is not often you hear someone talking about contracting-out of the State pension scheme, at least not in public. I turned round to find the perpetrator was none other than one of the elder statesmen of the pensions law world, David Pollard. So I had a nice chat with him, saving his neighbour from the finer details of SERPS (or rather just putting off the fateful moment a little longer).

I left them in the sun and continued on my way, trying admirably to photograph the Square despite it being subject to major construction work. Took a lot of effort to get these shots without diggers or red barriers in them.










Of course a Square like this will have been the home to some famous people. Top of the list is George Orwell (beating Evelyn Waugh and Vanessa Bell in my books)



So much for Canonbury Square. This is Canonbury Tower. It well predates anything else around here. There is a board outside it relating all its many interesting proprietors (including Sir Francis Bacon) although it was built in the early 1500s, possibly upon Roman foundations.



This is its back garden



















Back on the main thoroughfare of Essex Road, away from all those lovely residential streets and squares, it is all a bit unsightly and commercial, although one has to admire the art deco styling of the old Carlton Cinema - a  few Egyptian pillars in the heart of Islington,


And then the Peabody Estate, Victorian social housing.



Followed by another bit of Victorian philanthropy, the Tibberton Baths (from days when the poor had no baths). Or at least the skeletal remains thereof, in a little park



And right up to date, the Islington Academy School, built just over a decade ago to replace Islington Green School, a school with such abysmal Ofsted ratings that they decided the only option was to demolish it and start again! The old school's great claim to fame is that it supplied the children for Pink Floyd's Another Brick in the Wall video.


Back into the 19th century with nearby St James' church



And on to the beautiful and spacious Arlington Square. Spacious because it has an exceptionally large set of public gardens in the middle, and the houses are rather lower than most of the other squares hereabouts, just giving a more open feel.















Nearby one can find a path down to the Regents Canal.
 







Back up at street level, more elegant but modest terraces, including former home of playwright Joe Orton.

On to Duncan Terrace and the Church of St John the Evangelist, behind swathes of blossom. Definitely the right time of year for this walk, although playing havoc with my hay fever. The narrow gardens through this Terrace are exceptionally well planted.













And to top off my day, on coming home along the New River only a couple of hundred metres from my home, I came across a pair of Mandarin Ducks.Ducks don't get any prettier



Although Mrs Duck is rather plain.


And back home the flowers in my hallway.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment