Tuesday 11 May 2021

Islington to Canary Wharf

I had done this walk on my own before - and taken so many photos that I had to break it down into several entries. This time I was taking Clarissa on it, with a break for lunch at a restaurant now that is allowed again. Anyway, therefore have taken very few photos.

So first half of the walk just follows Regents Canal. (As you can see, we got a lovely morning for it among days of rain...)


A little detour into Arlington Square

Victoria Park




First goslings I had come across.


Limehouse Basin




I did want to do a detour to visit one place I hadn't explored before - St Anne's Limehouse. This is a Hawksmoor designed church in Baroque style.



In the graveyard is an odd pyramid. Apparently described in Pevsner as a "remarkable pyramid of unknown date and unknown purpose." 











I had booked a table at the Narrow for lunch - Gordon Ramsey's gastropub - which occupies the old dockmaster's house. It's a nice setting at the point the Regents Canal meets the Thames. A nice place to eat, location good, service good, food good. But no wow factor, except the prices. Basically would have been very happy with the food and drink t about half the price.







Sated, we wandered along the Thames Path to Canary Wharf.




And finally Clarissa wanted to visit Eataly, a place I had never even heard of.  Basically it is an indoor market for Italian food near Liverpool Street. If you wanted to cook a top class Italian meal, you would find all the ingredients here. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment