Sunday 2 May 2021

West Norwood Cemetery

So I happened to be in West Norwood, not exactly my normal hunting ground, but I was picking up a vase I had bought in auction at Roseberry's (this one actually)


Anyway, since I was there I thought I would visit another cemetery, West Norwood, adjacent to St Luke's Church. This is one of the four Waterloo churches built after the Napoleonic Wars, each dedicated to a different saint of the four gospels. ((I will come to St Matthews in a later entry for Brixton)




Anyway, onto the cemetery. Oh other interesting fact. Can you guess where Norwood got its name? It is a contraction of North Wood. Obvious when you think about it.

It is one of the "Magnificent Seven" Victorian cemeteries across London, Highgate and Eltham being among the others that I have visited recently - see earlier entries. It is also possibly the finest. It has 69 listed structures according to Wikipedia. Unfortunately a very cloudy day. Would have been even better in sun with all the tree blossom




































I thought this baby inscription was ever so sweet.



The most impressive part of the cemetery is the Greek Enclosure, a Greek Orthodox enclosure all in classical style, like a mini acropolis













































As it so happened, just as I was leaving there was a traditional funeral hearse going down the high street.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment