Monday 15 June 2015

Berlin

Not everyone's idea of a holiday destination I know, but I had never been to Berlin before, so it was the most prominent place missing from my list of European capitals to visit. It is also overflowing with museums, and as I like traipsing around museums, I decided 10 days in Berlin was a good way of spending an early summer holiday. I have no regrets. I felt particularly lucky as it was raining the evening I arrived, but not a drop fell thereafter.

About 15 years ago I think I was in Munich and was discussing Berlin as a place to visit with some folk there. They said it will be nice when its finished. I can understand that sentiment. It isn't quite finished yet. I know everywhere has construction projects ongoing, but there is just that little bit more here. They have recovered remarkably from the War (remarkable when you see photos of the total devastation), but its really recovering from the GDR that is still ongoing. Bringing a communist state into the modern world is difficult, but its all the more the case when its half a city that needs to match the other half. (Obviously, it pales into insignificance when compared to getting North Korea up to South Korea standards. By the time that happens the disparity may be so enormous that it just isn't possible. Its amazing just how much of a demonstrable failure communism has been everywhere, even more amazing that there are still any advocates for it at all.)

Anyway, before getting into the City itself, I should start by saying I was also lucky with my hotel. I went for an apartment hotel, namely the Aparthotel Adagio Berlin Kurfurstendamm. Actually it is not on  Kurfurstendamm, which is a fashionable shopping street, but on the next street down. I am not saying the place would suit everyone, but it was perfect for me. Not in the main part of the city, but easy access to buses (especially for the airport, Only half an hour away by an ordinary bus), a supermarket across the road open 6am to midnight, a kitchenette just allowing me to have breakfast and cook a few evening meals when I didn't fancy Wienner Schnitzel or sausages), a comfortable bed and a nice shower. When all you want is a place as a base for sightseeing, you couldn't ask for more. Very decent value.





No comments:

Post a Comment