Sunday 21 June 2015

Kulturforum (2)

Next door to the picture gallery is the applied arts museum. Same drab exterior, but unlike the picture galery it also has a confusing multi-floor lay-out. But the eclectic mix of exhibits saves it for me. I like pretty things I guess, and it has al this glass, silver, ceramics and furniture of all different styles over the last few hundred years.
























 When it comes to decorative arte, I really like the art nouveau style. So I was very happy here. Just so much. Wouldn't have minded sneaking home with  a few of the glass items.






























 Down a floor one comes across the Mediaeval items















And then way down in the bowels is a collection of chairs.
 I rather like this supermarket trolley chair.







 The one survival in the sea of modernity is the brick neo-Romanesque Matthauskirche.




 Last part of my itinerary in this district was the Neue Nationalgalerie - the modern art gallery. Of course I had miscalculated. Being a modern masterpiece by renowned architect Mies van der Rohe, it should have occurred to me that it would be closed for renovation. One thing most award-winning modern buildings have in common is that they need to be changed almost at once because they are a bit crap for purpose. But hey, look at the shiny glass and geometric shape. Genius.


No comments:

Post a Comment