Tuesday 1 March 2022

Echo & the Bunnymen at the Roundhouse

 I was relieved this gig made it, others having been postponed due to Covid. But probably a reflection of the band being keen to get the money. Also maybe shown by a lack of support band, just a DJ (who might as well not have been there).  

Sometimes I arrive too early....

I was also a little concerned as the last time I had seen the Bunnymen Ian McCullough's vocals were really off. I did wonder whether his voice was going. A lifetime of smoking can take its toll and he is now 62. But I should not have worried. Apart from the odd lapse his voice was fine. And the show was very enjoyable as a greatest hits type show, although Ian's attempts at banter with the audience rather fail due to his impenetrably thick Scouse accent, genuinely the strongest I have ever heard.

As I say fine show capped with two very short encores, first Lips Like Sugar and finishing with a return for the Killing Moon. Worth the wait.







And although the band very much relies on Ian's vocals and presence centre stage, one cannot overlook old Will Greenwood on guitar




No comments:

Post a Comment