Sunday 20 March 2022

Return to Oxford

In my mind, this weekend in early March was the second anniversary of the Covid outbreak. I say this because 2 years previously I was coming down to Oxford my old college for its annual law society dinner, but it got cancelled just before the event because of the Covid epidemic (ie just prior to the Government lockdown). But having already arranged to come up and stay with friends (and watch an Oxford United game with them) I still came to Oxford, and had dinner with my mate John who should also have been at the college dinner. Just a much smaller affair with him at a restaurant(and not black tie!). And then the football match got called off too, and the rest, as they say, is history.

So here I was returning for a re-match (except ironically, for the football).

Here is St Johns, on a rather grey day, but not, as yet, raining.



I had lunch, as I did two years ago, with my young friend Tom, now doing his masters after achieving a first. And coincidentally now at LMH, the same college as his mother (and brother) attended (which is how I know him at all). Honestly, just the very nicest company - frankly would have been worth coming down just for that.


Took him to the Ivy - slightly posher restaurant than the average student would eat at, but that was a reasonable treat in exchange for his company. And then we headed for the pub, as I had time to wait before I could descend on my hosts. Nice pub, but by this time the rain had started. And while we were there I had to take a call, ironically from my best mate at university, which meant me getting out of the pub to get better reception - but now into the rain, wearing only my jumper. Let's just say I was a little peremptory in my conversation.


Next stop were my friends for a cup of tea, a bit of a chat and then a quick (well slow) change into my black tie outfit. It is fiddly, especially cufflinks and bow tie. Then off to the dinner. I always enjoy this as one meets people of all generations. Needless to say I am at the top end now of the age groups. A barrister sitting opposite me turned out to be co-governor of a school with one of my friends. And another of my young mates who was at the dinner and is now a newly qualified lawyer at another firm turned out to have been at school with one of our trainees who regularly goes to comedy nights with me. Small world.


 Anyway, it was a very pleasant night which passed all too soon. 

Next day after a hearty breakfast with the family I pottered around Oxford a bit before getting train home. Thankfully much nicer weather than the night before.







Ukrainian flag flying






My main target was a walk around the Parks, which I haven't been into for years.


























No comments:

Post a Comment