Monday 7 March 2022

Nouvelle Vague at the Union Chapel

 Well this was an odd gig for me to go to. Firstly it is odd going to music gig in a church. Normally I would be standing at the front, but here you simply take a pew. And boy do those pews take a toll on the backside after 3 hours. 

Secondly the main act are a French covers band, and I normally consider a band doing covers is what you see playing at a wedding. not something you pay to see. But Nouvelle Vague are something special.

So in a way was the support, a duo called Strange As Angels. But not special in a good way. Guy on keyboards was fine but the caterwauling singer was just dreadful. I mean quite excruciating in her sincerity. Apart from anything else she managed to murder three great Cure songs (The Walk, Friday I'm in Love and Close to Me) in ways I could never have imagined. Not just murdered but tortured to death.




Fortunately Nouvelle Vague made up for it. They have been going for well over a decade now. Basically they take indie classics and totally rearrange them. For many it is the first time I have actually been able to make out the lyrics. Just super versions of songs like Just Can't Get Enough, Blue Monday, Love Will Tear Us Apart, Ever Fallen In Love, All My Colours and Making Plans for Nigel. In essentially a Bossa Nova style.

Not only is the musicianship superb and the vocals lovely, but it was performed with wit and charm. I particularly enjoyed the comment of one of the girls after they had sung a version of Too Drunk to F**k - "I am so glad I don't understand any English". Check them out. You won't regret it





Performing Making Plans for Nigel from the pulpit













No comments:

Post a Comment