Sunday 16 July 2023

A visit from Eoin. And British Museum Luxury and Power Exhibition.

Eoin had popped in on me a couple of times last year on his returns from Europe and the States, but this was his longest stay, originally to see both Community Festival and Interpol (see separate entries) . So I just filled up the intervening days for him and added a bit to the end of his stay. Always the perfect host!

While I was at Blur I parceled him off to the Globe to see A Midsummer Night's Dream. Unfortunately it rained on him a bit - there are some things even a perfect host can't ordain....

I did a Sunday roast and then we headed in the evening for dinner at the Cutty Sark plus a comedy night at Up the Creek in Greenwich with my colleague Joe who lives nearby. Headliner Fin Taylor was excellent but the surprise package was a wonderfully deadpan Indian comic called Joshua Bethania.


We had Monday afternoon chilling in the garden - with afternoon cream tea. I am civilized! That was before Interpol.


Tuesday we went for an afternoon walk along Regents Canal. Very proud of this arty photo of Eoin at the Gasholder Park near Kings Cross. All done with mirrors. Eoin is bottom left in his Sparta Prague football shirt (of course....)


One of the smarter residences along the canal.



That was followed by a play at Hampstead Theatre, a very decent two hander about cricket, called Stumped. And after that a proper long drinking session until about 4am. He and I do get on remarkably well despite the 40 year age gap!

Needless to say, breakfast and lunch were one and the same next day before we headed off to the British Museum. Whereupon I rather neglected the lad in favour of the wife and sons of one of my partners. I had promised to take them to the Greek and Persian art exhibition with my plus one membership. Conveniently this allowed me not only to take Claire free of charge, but two under sixteens, and her sons are 12 and 15. Bingo. So I left Eoin to amuse himself with the general collection while I took them round this exhibition.  

Reproduction Persian textile


My idea of a decent lunch, although I might have eased up on the salted turnips and pickled capers.







More reproduction Persian clothing

Most of the exhibits are from the museum's own collections and a lot are frankly not exciting enough to be on permanent display. But the star attraction is this gold treasure from Bulgaria, or ancient Thrace.




Superb Greek glassware


We also took in the Chinese 19th century exhibition



Following which the four of us reconvened with Eoin and headed to Pied Bull Yard for drinks. Was just the very most convivial day. All five of us had a very pleasant chat before I said fond farewells to Eoin who headed back home while I went for dinner with the others plus now Pete fresh from the office. 

Anyway, I found Eoin exceedingly good company for what was almost a week - and still had time to do stuff on my own as he never got up before noon! Typical student.😃. So looking forward to his next visit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment