Tuesday 18 July 2023

A day in the Metropolitan Museum

 After three days of going around together we had a day split up (for the afternoon anyway). For Connie and I it was time spent in the Met.

The Metropolitan Museum in New York is like the National Gallery and British Museum combined. Even though we stayed until almost closing we didn't go through all the departments (omitting for example the Egyptian section) and a substantial part of the fine art collection was only reopening in the Fall, so we missed all of that. In short one day is not enough. Although Connie may have felt one day of me prattling on was indeed enough. But I loved the place. And Connie was sweet enough to junk the acoustiguide in favour of me. At least I answer questions!



Opened with the Greek and Roman section. Always a favourite of mine.











































A suit of armour made for a corpulent King Henry VIII

A rather more butch piece of ancient armour




Some superb Tiffany stained glass windows.









From the US fine art section









After which we went for a Japanese meal and that, barring a last brunch next day, was my time up in New York. Was a great trip and needless to say I loved the fact that I had gone out with three people literally half my age, but still we all seemed to get on very well. Just very grateful they were willing to risk having me along!



No comments:

Post a Comment