Saturday 5 May 2018

What did you expect from the Vaccines?

I wasn't sure what to expect really. Hadn't heard from the Vaccines for a while, and had only given their 4th album Combat Spots a couple of listens before their gig at Alexandra Palace.

I went to this gig, my fourth of the week, on my own, as no-one else seemed much interested in the band. And I realised I was maybe going to too many gigs when I recognised the support act, Whenyoung, from one of the earlier gigs. Sadly I didn't like this three piece any more than in their previous support slot. Earnest but dull.

 

Rather better were the girl band Dreamwife. Quite a decent rock act.









But the crowd of around 10,000 youngsters were here to see the Vaccines. And I don't think they were disappointed. Justin Hayward-Young (they are quite a posh band, but then so many good bands are) led the band through a good mix of old favourites and the new album. To some extent, I felt he looked a bit bored with the old ones, such as Wrecking Bar (Ra Ra Ra) and Post Break Up Sex, and seemed more animated playing their new stuff.
Combat Sports is their 4th studio album, and according to Justin, their best so far. And it is indeed good. Probably thr most mature album, and in that sense yes the best. But best doesn't always mean most likeable. It sounds more mainstream indie, but just a little less like the simple, speedy and catchy songs that marked their debut - "What did you expect from the Vaccines?"

















 











No comments:

Post a Comment