Monday 12 February 2018

El Peqeno Gecko Verde - Samara

This was the start of my unwinding part of the holiday - going to the seaside Pacific resort of Samara for 5 nights. Now this was the place where I overrode the suggested hotel of my agents to go to this boutique hotel, El Pequeno Gecko Verde. On the way I was wondering if this was a bad idea as it was a 20 minute walk from Samara and the main beach.

Quite the opposite. This was wonderful. Firstly, I had my own little bungalow. Although there were a lot of these on the site, they were carefully configured so that you didn't overlook your neighbour. In contrast to the previous hotel which felt more like an army barracks, here you felt you were right in the forest, which in a way you were, just a forest with lots of cabins in it.



The one room contained not only bed, but sitting artea and a little kitchen,


The bathroom was separate.


With the shower being outside. Yes the weather was tropical here (I had the mosquito bites to prove it!) and so it was perfect to shower in the open air, albeit well hidden from anyone else (including  monkeys) by a stone wall.


The pool in front of the bar was beautiful (although very cold - only to be used after a particularly hot and sweaty trek, which I did later undertake, when you do really want to cool down.).




 And the surrounding gardens are just bursting with colour.




The hotel also has its own "secret" beach. I almost didn't find it. The rather schematic hotel map showed a stright line from out the back gate down to the beach. I took this literally and ended up down in a dried up river bed, but one which as I advanced became less dried up and more a collection  of stagnant pools. Luckily as I extricated myself and retraced my steps I came across a French Canadian couple who correctly interpreted straight on as turn sharp left, and lo we found it.


Now, as you can see, its not exactly overcrowded, and it does look idyllic.  But it does have rock pools, which are fine for birds and limpets but don't make bathing a sensible option.











So back to my hotel and a little further wandering around the lush gardens.














Right by the pool was a coconut palm, and squirrel intent on getting into one of the coconuts.



Note the sharp teeth.












No comments:

Post a Comment