Monday 19 February 2018

Sherlocks at the Electric Ballroom

This was my first music gig since returning from Costa Rica, and therefore my first of 2018. It was a triumph out of adversity, for reasons I shall explain.

First thing to say was what a young crowd there was here - probably largely teenagers. I texted a friend of mine to say I was feeling ancient. Kindly she assured me I was ancient. "But when did that happen?" I asked. "Ironically," she replied, "while you were writing pension deeds." Fair point, well made.
 Anyway, I duly made my way down the front to watch the support band, Oddity Road, like the main protagonists a band from the Sheffield area. A nice enough sounding bunch of lads - lead singer had a strong voice. But nothing to distinguish them.









So, onto the Sherlocks. One might say not a lot to distinguish them either, but they happen to play a brand of indie that perfectly matches my tastes. Three guitars, quite anthemic stuff.

Their unique feature is they are a pair of brothers. Kiaran and Brandon Crook, on vocals and drums and Andy and Josh Davidson on guitars.


 Kiaran is a very decent front man. Doesn't exude personality as much as one might want, but very strong voice. They only have one album of material to call upon - Live for the Moment, but its a very fine work, literally packed with singles.

Now, I did say the set was a triumph over diversity. That was because the sound kept cutting out. Three times in fact. Now in any decent business the venue would be seeking to give refunds to the audience. After all if there is one thing you expect at a music gig it is to hear something. But the mikes kept going. Very irritating.

 However, top marks to the band for keeping going. I think most would just storm off until the technical people had it sorted. But they did their best to keep us entertained. They neatly adapted to playing "Don't look back in Anger" just on guitars, since the guitars were still emitting noise.
At third attempt, Kiaran announced, "This is Nobody Knows. Let's see how long this works for".

Fortunately all the way through, since it is my favourite track. It is interesting going to see a new band like this that no-one I know likes (or has come across) and about whom I know nothing either, as I have no idea what I am supposed to like. Normally there are hit singles and you know what is supposed to be popular. Well I had no idea, but it seems its not "Nobody Knows", but  "Chasing Shadows" that is the fan favourite. There you go.

I do hope this outfit get further coverage. They deserve to be (moderately) big.












No comments:

Post a Comment